Pages

Monday, October 10, 2011

Finally Understanding Hermès



The average person whom isn’t very cultured in the making of French luxury goods(myself included) could really only related the famous Birkin bag to the episode “Coulda Should Woulda” of Sex and the City when Samantha uses a client to avoid a waiting list for the thousand dollar bag, or maybe even going all the way back to your teenage years watching Gilmore Girls, when Roary’s boyfriend Logan presents her one as a gift. The initial thought that I had, and maybe some of you, too, was “Wow, what is so great about that bag? Why is this such a big deal?” And up until now I can assure you I kept that state of mind. Personally, I have never understood the large following of high end, designer purses, scarves, shoes, or anything for that matter. I would always ask myself, what’s the point? I have a quality pair of nikes that get the job done, and my backpack from L.L. Bean is completely satisfactory. Why is there so much status assumed when you see someone with a Louis Vitton? The real question being, although taboo to ever ask a true fashion loving woman, why waste all that money?

Now the answer to that question is a complicated one, dating back centuries. To sum the legacy up, it all started with a man by the name of Thierry Hermès who created Hermès as a harness shop, nothing more nothing less. After a few generations had passed, the Hermès Frères era began, beginning with simple saddle making. As time progressed, they eventually gained right to produce products containing the zipper, which included clothing and leather goods. Finally, in 1922, one of the men’s wives requested a purse to be made for her, and so began the long journey that this French luxury goods company has been through.
After reading through pages and pages of information much more detailed than that short sum up, it all started to make sense. There is a firm story behind this, and it all pieces together, but still, why? Why are woman like Martha Stewart and Kate Moss willing to sign themselves up to wait years for one of these bags? Although the story does make sense and the legacy has firm back-up, still, why not respect it from a comfortable distance? Why be so willing to throw so much money at one simple product, no matter how lovely a back story it has?

With these questions in mind I had to think that there really must be something beautiful about these products. Something one of a kind that could never be replicated. Even though a bag is a bag to me, maybe these will change my mind.

As it turns out, they did change my mind. These bags are hand-sewn, buffed and painted, and take up to 48 hours to finish. No factory work here, but real, true blue dedication. At the risk of sounding cheesy, they may even be made with love. They come in varying hides including calf leather, ostrich, crocodile, and lizard, and there is a plethora of colors to choose from. Every bag comes with a lock and key, they all lack any actual logo.
Take it from me, an especially fashion-blind teen, just a little reading up can change your outlook. I’ve developed a new found respect, and maybe even I will put my name on one of those waiting lists. You never know.
Did you have any misconceptions, too? What did you think? Surprised by the truth?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...